Using the REELEX Packaging Calculator
Hole Size Input
Select a hole size based on what type of payout tube you intend to use, and the bending radius of your product. The hole size should be set so that the operator does not have difficulty inserting the payout tube.
Hole Size Guidelines:
- REELEX I – 40 to 60°
- REELEX II – 70 to 110°
All twisted-pair, LAN, fiber optic and coaxial cables should use EcoCore or REELEX II tubes (60°+)
Mandrels, Endform and Traverse
About 70% of REELEX machines are equipped with 8″ mandrels with 18″ endforms.
For manufacturers winding cable larger than 0.25 inches OD, or are packaging high-performance twisted-pair products like Category 6a etc., 10″ mandrels with 21″ endforms are recommended.
Machine Configuration Guidelines:
- Typical Mandrel Diameters – 6, 8, 10
- Typical Endform Diameters – 12, 18, 21
- Traverse Stroke is almost always 12 inches on standard REELEX machines.
If your coil sizes are far off from calculated, you may have issues that should be addressed. See the packaging manual for more information.
- Some causes of coil size variation include improper tension, incorrect hole taper or density adjustment, mechanical issues, etc. Contact us if you need assistance.
- This calculator is simply meant as a guide. ALWAYS create sample coils before ordering packaging materials.
Enter in your product’s diameter, your desired coil length and your machine configuration.
Press “Calculate Size Range” button.
After pressing the “calculate” button, the program will provide you with a range of gain settings that can be used for this product.
Now, enter a gain setting between the minimum and maximum allowable values to see the corresponding coil diameter, package dimensions and minimum payout tube length for your settings. Add density and hole taper values if desired.
1. Enter Product and Machine Information
A. Select Units
B. Enter Product Information
C. Choose Payout Hole Size
D. Enter Machine Configuration
2. Coil Diameter Range Before Density or Hole Taper
3. Select a Coil Parameters
E. Enter Desired Gain Setting
Choose a Gain Setting
Between Minimum and Maximum
F. Enter Density Setting (if Desired)
G. Enter Hole Taper Setting (if Desired)
H. Press “Calculate” Button Below
4. Estimated Package Size Calculations
Calculated Coil Diameter
Estimated Packaging Dimensions
5. Machine Settings to Produce Calculated Coil
Use the settings below to produce a coil of the above calculated size on your REELEX machine. Please note that older equipment may not offer density and hole taper options. To upgrade your machine to newer software, please contact us.